Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some hope

I must admit that as I've watched politics and the workings of government during the past year, I've begun to get very disillusioned with the whole process. What I've seen is one party control pushing their liberal agenda despite what the voters want. They have insulated themselves from the average American. They have padded their own empires, placed the country in massive debt, and sneered at any bipartisan action. Campaign promises have been ignored. Politicians have abandoned their principles to vote the party line and protect their power. But what should we expect? After all, politics broken down comes from "poly" which means "many" and "ticks" which are "blood sucking parasites". What more can one say. But during the recent month there have been some glimmers of hope. First there were the elections in Virginia and New Jersey where conservatives won in upsets. Then there was the major upset last Mon day in Massachusetts where a conservative Republican won Kennedy's seat. Who would have ever believed that this would be possible? Scott Brown, a state senator who defeated Democratic state Attorney General Martha Coakley on Tuesday, is the first Massachusetts Republican to win a U.S. Senate race since 1972. His win stripped Democrats of their filibuster-proof 60-seat Senate supermajority and has forced the Obama White House to reconsider its options for passing a health care bill. And he apparently won because the voters were fed up with the way the Democrats were doing their own thing. Maybe there is still hope for democracy. Now if only the public keeps expressing their concerns at the ballot box. For example, it would be tremendous if Pennsylvania would "retire" Arlan Spector this year in favor of a conservative. He is a real career "politician" who claimed to be a Republican for years when it was to his advantage, even though he voted like a Democrat. Then he suddenly changes parties because the polls show that the Republicans would no longer support his actions and he might lose reelection. Now with loads of money and liberal support, he is running for another term, this time as a Democrat. Now it is time for the voters of Pennsylvania to stand up and send this politician into retirement. That would be refreshing and a change worth supporting. Will the voters of Pennsylvania, from both parties, do this? Congratulations to Scott Brown for proving that much of the public does care about this country and that they will vote for what is right, not just for what their party says. Maybe there is still hope!

No comments: