Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

An Interesting Musical

Earlier this week we had a chance to attend the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater for their production of the musical "Nunsense". The musical begins when the Little Sisters of Hoboken discover that their cook, Sister Julia, Child of God, has accidentally poisoned and killed 52 of the sisters, and they are in dire need of funds for the burials. They are able to bury 48 of them but have four still stored in the freezer because they can't afford the burials. The sisters decide that the best way to raise the money to do this is to put on a variety show. The musical is this variety show. It is rather funny, although there are a few crude jokes. The dancing is entertaining and the singing is exceptional. The entire production is done by just five women actresses. But while we enjoyed most of the show, I'm not sure that I could recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately, the musical was some what ruined for me by the final number. There really isn't too much theology throughout the show until the very last song, "Holier Than Though". It begins with these words, "If you want to be a saint, all you have to do is pick a saint to emulate who embodies you. Then figure out what made that saint the idol of today. Then follow in those footsteps and you'll earn the right to say, I am holier than thou. I've got the spirit now. I feel like I'm in heaven now because I'm holier than thou!" Then they continue to dance and sing for several minutes "I'm holier than thou!" The audience loved it, but it left me with an ache in my stomach. The words sound great to a world that is ignorant of Biblical truths or the Gospel … a world that believes that we all are gods and we can just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. There is no need for mercy and grace and a Savior. But the Bible teaches us that all believers are already saints in that they are positionally "set apart" to God and are experientially being made increasingly "holy" by the Holy Spirit. This is all through the grace of God and there is absolutely nothing we can do to earn it, no matter how we may try or who we may try to emulate. And holiness is certainly not something to brag about, far from it. My prayer is that, as a saint of God, I may daily become more like Him and that my life and actions may please my Father and help to draw others to Him. I admit that since watching that musical, my heart aches even more for the multitudes right here in this country who don't know the Lord and His desires for them. I certainly wasn't expecting to be challenged this way when I thought we were going for a night of relaxing and entertaining. But it is interesting how the Lord can use an event like this to challenge us. I pray that all who read this blog may have already experienced new life in Christ and then you too are a saint of God, set apart for Him.

No comments: