Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comments From Readers

Well I think it might be time to open the old mailbag or the e-mail account and share with you some of the vast number of comments (I think there have been about five of them) that I've recently received from my many readers (actually probably about ten including me and my family). Three folks told me that they really enjoyed the snow shoveler story. Maybe only three read it. Actually, I thought it was a lot better than that, but it is probably much better if you've just finished shoveling your driveway for the sixth time. If you didn't think it was funny, read it again next week when I am told by some that we will receive 30 inches of snow. Or read it after March 7 when I am told we will get 40 inches of snow. Just thinking about such storms makes me relate even more to the shoveler in the story (see link in Feb. 12 blog). Another reader commented on my Feb. 6 blog as follows. "It is faulty to base your winter weather predictions on just one caterpillar. You, being a mathematician/statistician should know that you need a proper sample size to do a credible statistical analysis. But, even though you made a mistake in your prediction, you are still qualified to be a weather man. It seems like their jobs are secure even if they are wrong about the weather." Do you mean the weather men/women make mistakes? I hope that they make mistakes about the 30" and 40" storms. And statistics was never my favorite subject and since I'm retired I have forgotten all that exciting information that I crammed in to the minds of "eager" students for 39 years. That's another lifetime now. Then a reader said this about my January 23 blog. "When you did your illegal renting of a motel room for your underage grandkids, I was going to tell you that I hoped they would let you continue doing your blog from your prison cell when they arrested you." At times like this I'm glad that only a couple of relatives read my blogs - please don't let the word get out. I do wonder if I can take my laptop into prison with me. A final reply came from a reader who liked the Snow Shoveler Diary. She sent me the following poem, entitled Winter Poem.

"It's winter in Pennsylvania, And the gentle breezes blow, Seventy miles an hour, At five below. Oh, how I love Pennsylvania, When the snow's up to your butt, You take a breath of winter, And your nose gets frozen shut. Yes, the weather here is wonderful, So I guess I'll hang around, I could never leave Pennsylvania, Cuz I'm frozen to the ground!"

So take this as a warning and don't stand still in the 30 inches next week or the 40 inches on March 7. Keep the cards, letters, and e-mails coming - they give me something to read when we're snowbound.

No comments: