Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

What Do You Do When It Snows?



What do you do when you get hit with a third major snowstorm – a new record for any season since they began to record such information? And what do you do when you receive about 43 inches of the white stuff in a five-day period? Well, obviously you shovel and run the snow blower, and shovel and run the snow blower, and then shovel and run the snow blower again. But in between all that hard work we enjoy putting jigsaw puzzles together and we have completed several recently. But we have also enjoyed, somewhat unexpectedly, another activity. Many years ago we built an enclosed porch on the back of our house. It originally was intended for summer enjoyment, but over the years we added baseboard heat, finished it off and furnished it, and added a gas stove. But because the windows were not meant for use in the cold of the winter, the room often went unused during the cold months. But this year we decided to take advantage of rebates and we replaced the windows with nine large, energy efficient windows that provide a great view. And now we have been using this room almost every day during the winter. It has been nice to relax there, sitting by the fire, reading, watching television, listening to old records, and putting puzzles together. Then came the snow and suddenly we had great views of our backyard, our snow-covered large pine trees, and our bird feeders. We have been treated to beautiful views of falling and drifting snow. And during these storms our bird friends have returned to the feeders. Yesterday, during our blizzard, we were entertained by several cardinals, numerous woodpeckers – including a redheaded woodpecker, mourning doves, and many others. We have also watched gigantic icicles form to lengths of at least four feet. We have watched the heavy winds blow the snow and form beautiful drifts. We have also watched the heavy snow break huge limbs off our white pines and while I don't know how we will get rid of them, they will be fine until spring. And even when my back aches from all the work outside, I remember that this is the day that the Lord has made and we should rejoice and be glad. And the last few days I have often been reminded of God's faithfulness not only through the beauty of His creation and His protection through the storms, but by His dealings in our lives. This weekend was the first anniversary of my dad's death. What if we had to make plans for his funeral and burial in this kind of weather? But last year at this time it was mild and sunny. PTL. And if he were alive and living at home I would be worrying (Yes, I am the family worrier) about him and wouldn't have been able to get to Lititz to help him. And what if we hadn't sold his home so quickly and I had to take care of it in this weather? But my loving heavenly Father knew all about this and he chose to spare us from all of those problems and concerns. And so, while I have seen enough snow the last few days to last me for a decade, God has been good to me. And I know that He never gives us more than we can handle and when we take time to worship Him we can see His handiwork all around this. And, hopefully, I will remember this when the next snow arrives Monday night. This is the day that the Lord hath made. I will rejoice!

No comments: