Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Now Playing In Heaven

This week Christian music lost one of its greatest musicians, but heaven gained a superb trombonist and vocalist. What an addition has been made to the music of heaven! I have only had a few musicians over the years that I would call my favorites, but Bill Pearce certainly would rank in the top one or two. Bill had such a beautiful mellow voice and his trombone stylings were the best that I have ever heard. Since I used to play the trombone, I would always marvel at his beautiful mellow sounds when he played. For years I have also listened to his radio program "Nightsounds" which he has produced since the 1960's. It is still played on 300 radio stations, including 30 here in Pennsylvania. Every Friday and Saturday night we listen to it on WDAC at 11:30. I also remember hearing him sing and play duets with Dick Anthony and sing with the Melody Four Quartet and with the 16 Singing Men. A few years ago we were with Bert Kettinger who is a soloist from Moody. Bert used to work with Bill and he had several stories to share. I was surprised to learn that Bill was really an introvert and uneasy in front of groups of people. One would never know that from his easy, mellow style of ministry. He played the trombone from the age of ten which is about when I started. Unfortunately, I quit many years before he did. It was never as easy to me as he made it appear. What I also didn't know until today is that he was the voice of one of the characters on Ranger Bill. Even though I don't care for this kid's program, I will probably listen to it for a few Saturday mornings to see if I can recognize his voice. But after suffering from Parkinson's Disease for several years, the Lord took him home this week at the age of 83. I guess the Lord needed one of the world's best trombone players and soloists to add to the praise choirs of heaven. Hopefully his taped programs will continue to be aired on radio stations so that we here on earth can still be challenged by his ministry. I've listed a few links for you if you would like to hear more of Bill.

Bill with the Melody Four Quartet.
MELODY
Bill playing Joshua.
JOSHUA
Bill playing Over The Sunset Mountains
SUNSET
Bill playing What Wondrous Love
LOVE
An article about Bill's trombone playing.
TROMBONE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that trombone!