Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Very Special Ministry

When we began our Awana ministry 28 years ago, I never thought that 28 years later I would still be involved in this ministry and certainly not as commander. But it has been a great experience and we have really seen the Lord bless this ministry over the years. There have been many challenges including two moves to new buildings, working with kids from inner city Lancaster through a van ministry, finding new leaders and directors, and handling the challenges of a growing ministry. But it has been a special blessing to see children memorize scripture and come to know the Lord as Savior. It has been fun to watch them compete in quizzing, Awana games and the annual Grand Prix. It has been rewarding to be involved in training almost 250 Awana leaders, some of whom have served with us for many of these 28 years. It has been a joy to present over 280 Sparky and Timothy Awards for achievement in completing handbooks. It has been a very special honor to present some of these awards to family members, especially my grandchildren. Six of our seven grandchildren have or are presently attending (one is still too young) and by the end of this year three will have earned the Timothy and five will have earned the Sparky. This year has been a special year since we have set numerous attendance records (145 K-6 clubbers and 233 total attendance) and are well on our way to having 85 completed handbooks (40 so far). But last evening was very special since we completed our annual adopt-a-club drive by raising $4,954 to support 14 clubs that we have adopted around the world. About $1,500 of this will go to help five clubs in Haiti try to reestablish themselves after the devastating earthquake. We plan to keep the offering open for one more week in hopes of going over $5,000 and possibly collecting $2,000 for Haiti. Being part of this missions project has been another highlight of my time in Awana. My one regret – at times - is that I am not the same as I was 28 years ago. I see the special ministry of Awana to boys and girls and families and I know that there is so much more that we could do to expand the ministry and reach others. But, unfortunately, while I have a bigger heart for Awana than I've ever had, my body, nerves, and stamina just aren't what they were 28 years ago. My mind tells me there is so much more to be done, but my body just can't do it anymore. Being a good commander of a growing vital ministry can be a full-time job. And one of the problems that we all will face as we age is when to give up key things in our life – whether it be something like our home, our driving, our activities, or even our ministry. And, unfortunately, society today does not value age or experience. But that's just one of those things we all will face, if we are fortunate enough to live that long. But, in the meantime, we rejoice in being part of the Lord's work, both in the past and in the present. It is a great God that we serve and there are so many who di not know Him. God is so good to us!

1 comment:

kranderson said...

Hi Barry,
My name is Kim Anderson and I work at Awana headquarters. I just read your blog post about your many years of Awana involvement--how wonderful! I write stories for the Awana Web site about alumni and leaders and would love to hear more about your Awana experience. Would you have 20 minutes sometime in the next couple of weeks to talk with me? I can be reached at kima@awana.org or 630-540-4732. I look forward to hearing from you!
Blessings,
Kim Anderson