Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And They Go Marching On ...

I remember two conversations I had recently with elderly men who told me how hard life became when all of your close friends died. And I guess that if we live long enough we are destined to face that same situation which they were facing. And it is a situation which we just don't think about when we are still fortunate to have close friends and mentors around. If you have a close friend and prayer partner you are very fortunate and you should nurture that special relationship. If you have somebody who has been a mentor to you, you are very fortunate and you should learn all that you can from that special relationship. During the past few years I number ten such men that I counted as close friends and mentors who have now graduated to glory. And I do miss all of them. Their graduation has left a hole in my life. Some were my age and together we shared problems and hopes and encouragement. We enjoyed similar things and spent great times together. They were special. Some were older and influenced me with their wisdom, their advice, their lives, and their concerns for me. They were great role models. Some were family members who guided me and encouraged me through life as part of my special heritage. All loved and served the Lord and today are rejoicing in His presence. How do you replace men like this in your life? The answer is that you can't, unless the Lord brings new friends and mentors into your life. Maybe as we age we should pray that the Lord allows us to be that friend or mentor to others. Unfortunately, today we don't value age, wisdom, and experience in our society and so it is hard to fill that need in the lives of others. But that need is still there, not only in our lives, but in the lives of a younger generation that needs the friendship and guidance of godly men. And so, as we say a "temporary" good-bye to Pastor David E. (Model T) Thomann this weekend, let's ask the Lord to raise up godly replacements for those He is calling home to their eternal reward. And as we face the loss of those special friendships and examples in our lives, may we ask the Lord to help us live lives that will please Him and will be an example to others. And let's not forget, even if we feel the pain and loneliness of the loss of these special relationships in our lives, the Lord is still there and He has promised never to leave us or forsake us. And that we can depend on.

No comments: