Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Welcome To The USA!

Last week we had the opportunity to visit Ellis Island as part of our retreat at Pinebrook. It was a very special experience that I would love to repeat. Our visit started at the restored Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal, a beautiful building with an historic background. After passing through tight security like you do for air travel, we boarded a ferry for Ellis Island. Beginning in 1892, some 12 million immigrants, mostly from Europe, passed through this facility on their way to the United States. The one day record was 11,747 processed in April of 1907. The experiences of the immigrants were fascinating. One of their first tests in their processing was to climb the stairs to the registry room. While they climbed they were watched by doctors who picked out this who limped, those who were out of breath, and those who didn't act normally. Those picked out were processed separately by the medical staff. Some were approved, some were sent to the hospital on Elllis Island, and others were sent back to the land from which they came. Inspectors quizzed all the immigrants using a 29 question processing form. Those who received approval to enter the United States were then allowed to exchange money, buy provisions, and, if needed, purchase rail tickets. One to two percent were denied entry. This often meant that families were split up - maybe the husband could enter and the wife had to return to her home country. I just can't imagine that a family who had made this long trip would reach this point and find that one or two of them could not enter this promised land. It must have been heart breaking when that happened. About a third of those who were approved stayed in New York City. After the inspection process was transferred to U. S. consulates in the 1920's, only a small number of detained immigrants passed through Ellis Island until it completely closed in 1954. It was also used during World War II for Japanese, Italian and German aliens who were interned. The buildings then deteriorated until restoration began in the 1980's. Unfortunately, our time to visit there was very limited. We did get to go on a tour of the main building, but missed the movies, many of the museum rooms, and the grounds. It has a special place in our country's history and that is why I'd like to return and spend more time there. But the day wasn't over and we had to again board the ferry whose next stop was at the Statue of Liberty. While we didn't have time to get off there, we did sail around the island giving me the closest view I had ever had. That too was impressive. And as we sailed back to our starting point, we could view the skyline of Manhattan and see how it had changed as a result of 9-11. It was a spectacular sight and it was a great trip. As I reflect upon the day, I realize more than ever how much millions of immigrants went through to come to our country. Unlike today when they now sneak in, it was a long and difficult process to come to this special land. And these were the folks who helped make us a great nation. Despite all the problems we now have in this country, I thank the Lord for the United States and the freedoms that we have experienced here. I guess we'll see what this freedom really means to us on Tuesday by the turnout at the polls. I'll be there exercising my freedom to choose, without fear. Will you?

No comments: