Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Special For Seniors

We just returned from the annual Sr. Saints Retreat at Pinebrook. We think it is Pinebrook's best event and probably its biggest hidden secret. We just don't understand why more seniors don't take advantage of this special retreat. Maybe some just don't want to admit that they are seniors - whatever a senior really is - or maybe they just don't realize how much they can benefit from such a retreat. For four days we enjoyed the beauty of the fall colors in the Pocono Mountains. We enjoyed the fellowship of senior men, women and couples. We enjoyed a concert by the group Witness. We enjoyed a banquet and good food. We led worship and shared our "Grandma" and "Gramps" with the others. We enjoyed a bus trip to New York where we took a ferry to Ellis Island (I might talk about this special experience in a future blog.). Indoor swimming and side trips to various attractions were also available. But most of all, we enjoyed listening to two outstanding speakers who challenged us and encouraged us with practical lessons. All of us need times that we step away from the stress and pressures of life to rest and be challenged in our Christian living. Now while they have some very nice rooms available for this retreat, we chose to be in a room that was much more basic. But for three nights it was comfortable enough for us. We even had wireless available. And while it wasn't Marriott quality, it certainly was far less expensive than Marriott and for the program and fellowship that we experienced, it really was a bargain. In fact, to be fair to seniors on limited incomes, Pinebrook actually lowered its rate for this year and has promised not to increase it for next year. So, as usual, we had a great time and we are already looking forward to attending again next year. Now maybe you aren't a senior yet, but you certainly know some seniors. Do them a favor and encourage them to talk to us and consider attending next year. Once they do, they will want to return annually.

No comments: