Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Ups And Downs

I don't recall ever having a five day period that has been so exhausting with multiple highs and lows. It started on Thursday when we drove to Allentown so that Dianne could practice on the organ that she would use on Friday at the funeral service for our pastor's father, Pastor David E. Thomann. We were honored to be part of his services because he had been such a good friend and godly example. But we did so with very mixed emotions since we will miss him, while at the same time we know he is now where he desired to be, safe with the Lord. Friday morning I led the singing while Dianne played the organ for the service in Allentown. Then we battled the Friday traffic and drove back to Lancaster to do the same thing for his memorial service that evening. During this trip we learned that our son had received tickets for a private suite at the Penn State football game, and as tired as we were, we couldn't pass that up. So at 5:15 in the morning we left for Happy Valley. Fortunately I didn't have to drive and we had reserved parking just three rows from the stadium. It was a simply beautiful day and the leaves were turning. The private suite was beyond what I had ever expected - real luxury! The views of the surrounding area were spectacular from high above the stadium. We had large padded seats and more food than we needed. I took loads of pictures which I planned to share here with this blog. But it was another day of highs and lows. We learned how "the other half" lives - unbelievable! We also learned how lousy Penn State football has become. It was ugly! I think the only hope is for Joe to retire and for the entire staff to be replaced. But it probably won't happen soon. Sunday came and it appeared that we would finally have a chance to relax - and we did. We enjoyed watching the Phillies and the Eagles win. Finally something to cheer about. Then we received a telephone call telling us that Dianne's step-mother had died. We knew she wasn't well, but her death came as a surprise. But again, she is now safe at home with the Lord. Monday was spent trying to get things done for the Sr. Saints retreat that we will be involved in next week and also for the coming election when we serve as elected officers. Things were going well and so I thought I'd upload my pictures from Saturday to this blog. Then I found that my camera is gone - probably left at Penn State. Oh well, at least I have the memories of a spectacular day. So next comes another funeral, then the Sr. Saints Retreat, then the election, and then another hymn sing. Please don't ask me what I do with all the time that I have since I retired. Incidentally, my granddaughter did post some pictures from Saturday on her Facebook wall and I've "ripped off" a few which can be seen below. So I wonder what tomorrow holds. But I must nremember that the Lord gives us strength for today. Tomorrow will take care of itself, and God will be in control.

No comments: