Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Discrimination

Tolerance and discrimination are two terms that grab many headlines today. There is no question that over the years there has been much discrimination, especially against different races and women. But the flip side of that is that attempting to eliminate discrimination often results in reverse discrimination. For example, attempts to eliminate this problem have often resulted in things like quotas. I have been very fortunate that in my lifetime only once have I not been offered a job, permanent, part-time, or summer, that I have applied for. After I retired, a friend of mine pressed me to apply for a part-time teaching job at an area college. After 39 years of teaching math I certainly was qualified and even though I really wasn't too eager to work for this college, I applied. However, I was never even granted an interview despite the fact that jobs were open. I later learned that despite my qualifications, the college was forced to fill its positions with minorities, including women, because of quotas they were forced to meet by the government. Today folks like me who stand for Biblical standards concerning marriage are also facing reverse discrimination, especially from the media. We are condemned because of our stands. We are seen as being intolerant. People, especially educators, have lost their jobs because of their stands against homosexuality and gay marriage. Being a Christian is often no longer popular in our culture. But that is a topic for another time. I am thinking about discrimination presently because of a recent experience that I have had. I believe I have been a victim of sexual discrimination by our government. About a year ago I was having stomach problems and my gastroenterologist placed me on a heavy dose of reflux medicine, despite the fact that I had been taking two reflux prescriptions for a considerable time. At that time there was some new research released that showed that these meds could cause osteoporosis and patients should be monitored for this condition. He suggested that my family doctor should have me tested and monitored. So I was sent for a dexoscan, which fortunately showed that I had no signs of this disease. A few months later I received a bill for $283 for this test. I had been told that medicare would cover it especially since I had never had one before. Medicare claimed that it was just routine. My family doctor then requested the biller to resubmit the bill but with a different diagnostic code to make sure it was covered. But late in December I received another bill saying that medicare had again denied payment. I again contacted our family practice and they were amazed that it had been rejected again. So they did a little research on the problem. Then they told me that part of the problem was that I was male. If I were female the bill would have been covered because osteoporosis is more common in women. Now if that is true, it is sad that medicare is using discrimination against me, based on sex. But I really can't prove that. My family practice intends to submit the bill again, with a variety of codes and a supporting letter from my doctor. However, I am no longer hopeful that it will be covered. I guess it will be a $283 lesson learned. Discrimination is alive and well!

No comments: