Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

So long, Joe

Events of this past week have made me think about the national figures who lived in my lifetime that I most admire. It wasn't hard for me to come up with the names of Billy Graham, Ronald Reagan, Reggie White, George W. Bush, and Joe Paterno. I have admired each for different reasons but all have had outstanding careers and have made outstanding contributions which I have admired. Of course, with his recent death, many folks have shared stories about Joe. I have had two interesting contacts with him over the past two decades. When I reached the 30th year of providing leadership to the Penn Manor math program I wrote to him sharing how that I admired the way he had served for so many years as head coach while retaining his enthusiasm, his drive, and his effectiveness. I thanked him for providing this example to me since few people can do this over such a long period of time. He wrote a personal letter back to me, thanking me and encouraging me. Unfortunately, this week I can't find that valued letter even though I am sure it is somewhere in my files. In 2001 I had some concerns about some of the changes that had taken place at the stadium. I wrote to the Penn State athletic director about these concerns and he apparently shared my letter with Joe. A few days later I received a letter from Joe who said that the athletic director would work to address the problems I had mentioned. I do have this letter. But that sort of response demonstrates what so many are sharing about his friendliness and concerns about those around him. There are several reasons that I have admired him. The first was his down to earth attitude and his openness and friendliness to those who crossed his paths. No wonder students for generations loved him. The second was his ability to continue for many years in the same position with such great enthusiasm and leadership. Unfortunately, maybe he should have retired a few years sooner. A third reason was his loyalty to the university, his players and his staff. His staff was with him for many, many years. And they were loyal to him because he was so loyal to them. But I think the thing that attracted me most to him was his goal of success with honor. This past year the team's graduation rate was the highest in major college football in the nation. He stressed graduation first and football second. Most schools and coaches reverse those priorities. He often refused to give scholarships to accomplished, promising athletes who didn't have their priorities straight. They were readily accepted at other colleges. He benched players, even for bowl games and key games, who weren't maintaining what he expected in the classroom. Few coaches would ever risk a big win by doing this to key players. He had principles and stood behind them. His players felt like he was their father or grandfather and hundreds of them made the return trip to State College this week to honor him. Unfortunately, during his last few months he was unfairly chastised by the media for doing what, according to the attorney generals report, was just what he was supposed to do. He was then treated terribly by the Board of Trustees who used a note and a late night phone call to fire him and made him the scapegoat. What a horrendous way for them to end his great career. Then the Paterno's still gave another $100,000 gift to the university. And the only contact he had from the president and the trustees after he was fired was a note thanking them for the gift - not even a get well card or a phone call to check on him! Sad, sad, sad! Unfortunately, we don't know where Joe is now. I'm sure that thousands of his admirers feel he is in heaven, based on his life of good deeds. But that won't get him there. He was a very religious man and encouraged his players to obey God. But being religious won't get him to heaven. He certainly heard the Gospel throughout his life. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. Believing the Gospel and the work of Christ is the only way to heaven. Even following sound doctrine is not the prerequisite to getting to heaven, as important as that might be. So where is Joe today? Only God and Joe know. But thank you Joe for many great memories

No comments: