Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tebowed

I am a Philadelphia Eagles football fan, not a crazy fan like many, but they have been my favorite team over the years. My second favorite NFL team would be the Pittsburgh Steelers. This year the Eagles left us down and didn't even make the play-offs. So I expected that I would follow the Steelers in the play-offs. Then they were matched up with Denver and suddenly I had a problem. I have enjoyed watching Tim Tebow this year since he became the starting quarterback for Denver. Now if you don't know anything about Tebow, he is the son of missionaries and apparently a solid Christian believer. He has taken many stands for his faith and has been outspoken about the evil of abortion. Because of this he has been the target of many jokes and taunts by others, especially the media. Now I admit that he doesn't have a very strong arm and his passes are often off target. But there is one thing that he can do, in addition to sharing his faith, and that is win. His conduct and moral standards are so opposite that of the Steeler quarterback that last Sunday I actually found myself routing for Tebow and Denver, against the Steelers, to pull another upset. And he did, in overtime, with a perfect pass for the winning touchdown. Denver and Tebow move on in the play-offs. Pittsburgh is done for the year. Now Tebow is just one of many fine Christian athletes in pro football. But, unfortunately, he has been put under real pressure mainly because of his Christian faith and stand on moral issues. It is refreshing to see him have the success that he has had this year and he continues to give the Lord credit. Now there is another Christian quarterback that is still in the play-offs and that is Drew Brees. I recently heard him on a radio broadcast and his testimony appeared to be very solid. It wasn't one that you hear from some athletes who have learned the Christian talk without doing the Christian walk. So, what will I do if these two end up facing each other in the playoffs? That's a good question. I don't expect that to really happen, but it would make for an interesting play-off game. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Follow Tim Tebow on twitter @TimTebow. Very inspirational and worth following. GB2 (GB squared) is his creation...God Bless & Go Broncos.