Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Flown Away

When I retired I loved to get up early and spend time in our back room watching the birds fly in for their morning food. We had several feeders and containers and the birds were always there. We purchased a bird book and began to watch for new types. The cardinals were always there and we had all types of woodpeckers. Flocks of cedar waxwings used to come in a couple of times a year. Of course there were the mocking birds, robins and sparrows. It was fun to watch part of God's great creation. In preparation for this winter I purchased a big supply of food and we were ready to feed them plenty. Then a strange thing happened. There were fewer birds at our feeders each day. At first I thought that the food wasn''t good. But it was fresh and a top brand. Maybe the feeders were jammed up because of all the rain that we had. But that wasn't the case. I then thought that maybe the birds were being attracted to our neighbor's feeders. Maybe their food was better. But I don't think that is the case. Then I wondered if all the trees that we had cut down had eliminated their nesting places or their ability to hide from predators. And possibly this is partially true. But a few days ago we found the problem. Sitting in the tree, right over the feeders, was a young hawk. He was patiently waiting for his food and that wasn't the food that we had put out. He was looking for some fresh meat. Now I understand the balance of nature and how important that might be. But why couldn't the nature be balanced at somebody else's backyard? I wish I could get my birds back again. But I guess for now the birds are gone. Now what do I do with all the bird food? I wonder if it might be good in a salad or as a snack. No, I'm not that desperate or depressed, just disappointed. I'll keep the bags of food. Maybe our guests will return when the snow comes.

No comments: