Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

An Old Friend


Each Spring I enjoy sitting in my recliner, on our back porch, and watching our beautiful rhododendron as it bursts into bloom.  The plant is actually like an old friend for it has been there for  over 40 years.  It has often been an encouragement to me as it shares so many life lessons.  It has continued to thrive over the years while most of our other plants have gotten diseases and have died or have just disappeared. Gone. As you get older you experience the same thing as close ones are called home to eternity and are no longer here.  All of the men who were in our wedding party are now with the Lord. For some reason the Lord has allowed me to continue. Our beautiful plant has had its share of diseases, too, but with careful care it has continued to grow and bloom.  Annually I have had to prune and cut out limbs which are no longer healthy.  I often wonder if it will continue to thrive after my pruning.  I am reminded of how the Lord also prunes us through problems and sickness and spiritual teaching. And we all experience this pruning and should grow as a result. He does this for us so that we may bloom more beautifully for Him.  And my annual pruning has also changed the physical shape of my dear old friend.  It is no longer as symmetrical as it had been and it has holes were branches have been taken out. But it is still beautiful as it blooms.  And I guess that I no longer look the way I used to - somehow our shapes change as we get older.  Now my old friend continues to survive with regular care.  I do feed it regularly.  It needs its food, just like I need my spiritual food.  But I think there might be another secret to its survival.  It is planted near the main down spout where all the water from the back half of our large ranch style home flows when it rains.  Now the water doesn't run over the trunk or roots which would make them rot.  But, it does soak into the ground so that the plant can pull from it as a needed source of nourishment.  This reminds me so much of the verse in Psalm 1 which says "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."  What a reminder to me that I also need the spiritual nourishment to keep me growing and being fruitful. And every spring, for over 40 years, my old friend has bloomed and produced beautiful fruit or flowers.  And shouldn't that be our desire and goal?  Too often as folks get older they withdraw from ministry and from opportunities to grow spiritually.  They become stagnant and their fruit is no longer bountiful and beautiful.  What a tragic way to live.  Now I don't know how much longer my plant will survive.  Every year I think it might be its last year.  But the same is true of my life.  Our years are numbered and in God's control. We don't know what tomorrow may bring.  So, to my friend, my beautiful plant, keep blooming while you are able.  And thank you for your annual reminders of how to live and bloom.

No comments: