Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Problems of the Handicapped


Have you ever really thought about the problems that even moderately handicapped people face? I doubt that most of us do until we are faced with the problem ourselves. I imagine that probably was true even with me until my wife began using a cane. It has been interesting to see how folks interact with you when you are forced to use something like a cane. Now in all fairness, there are some people who are very considerate. They let you go ahead. They ask if they can help. They hold doors for you. Fortunately there are still some people with manners who are considerate of those with special needs. Now as you might expect, children are the worst problem. They run, they bump into you, they rush ahead, and they cut right in front of you. But they do that even to older folks who aren't handicapped. On a Sunday morning I have often been bumped by running children while I am trying to carry my coffee. At times that can almost be an adventure and even a little dangerous. But teens and young adults usually aren't much better. In the malls they don't get out of your way. You need to move for them. And they rush to beat you in and out of the doors, especially those which open automatically. But many adults act the same. It is common when we walk at Park City to have folks cut right in front of us or stop suddenly right in front of us. And many of them also like to beat you through the automatic doors. Then there are those who park in the striped areas between handicapped parking slots which are designed for vans and room for the handicapped to exit or enter their vehicles. As I said, I guess we just don't think much about those things until we have a handicap or we spend time with somebody who does. Maybe all students should be required to spend a day or two as a "handicapped person" to experience these problems. And we have also become more aware of the problems handicapped have with access to facilities. We have been learning the problems of dealing with steps when ramps and elevators are not available. On our trip to Commanders College last week, we visited the church where Awana really developed sixty years ago. Surprisingly it was not the least bit handicapped accessible. There were steep steps everywhere to get into the building and then again into the sanctuary. No ramps or elevators were provided. At one point my wife had to wait until everybody in our group had passed before she could begin difficult task of using the steps. She had struggled halfway when somebody from the church suddenly appeared and told her to be careful because they didn't have any insurance if she should hurt herself. We weren't sure whether to laugh or cry about his warning. But, unfortunately, that is often the attitude of people who aren't handicapped themselves - at least physically handicapped. And maybe that comment also tells you why this formerly thriving church, with an auditorium that seats about 400, now only averages 30 to 40 each Sunday. I sure hope this guy wasn't the church greeter!

No comments: