Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Critical Society

Late last night, after a hectic night of Awana, I was cleaning out my mailbox and I discovered a note that had been hidden in the back of my mailbox - probably for several weeks - under numerous other papers.  I was stunned as I read it because it was a very caustic, harsh attack on something I had innocently done and upon my perceived motives for having done it.  I will admit that it hurt me and still does. Human nature makes me feel like just quitting.  And what makes it worse is that the note was - anonymous - not signed.  So I have no opportunity to discuss the matter with the offended person, as the scripture suggests that we should do when there are disagreements or misunderstandings. It even hurts worse to know that there is a Christian brother/sister in our church that I have unintentionally offended and I can't do anything, except pray, to try to resolve the situation and our relationship. As Christians we often do see things differently, we have different opinions, and we do make mistakes, but these differences must be resolved without sharp attacks.  Unfortunately, we are living in a increasingly critical society and we can easily get caught up in the world's critical approach.  I am now trying to avoid reading letters to the editor in the newspapers because the harsh, critical spirit displayed in many of the letters makes me feel critical in return.  While these letters must at least be signed, writers are using this "bully pulpit" to chastise everyone and everything.  And often the criticisms appear to be exaggerated, biased, based on incorrect information, half-truths or at the least, very one-sided.  The intent often seems to be to berate or tear someone apart publicly rather than to heal or correct in a kind way.  Lately we Christians and conservatives seem to be fair game for many critical writers.  And it has recently gotten worse as letters are now defending the writer's political favorite by tearing down their opponent.  Sometimes these letters become very hostile.  I guess this critical spirit is part of the times in which we live - a time of discontent with everything. A time when everyone wants their own rights and there are no absolutes. But that is the way of the world and shouldn't be part of our conduct if we are believers in Christ.  James and others warn Christians of what damage the tongue can do.  The fruit of the spirit includes .... love ... peace, longsuffering, gentleness - things not often displayed in letters or dealings with others.   David said, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight ..."  In Colossians 4:6 we read, "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man".  And we could go on at length looking at many scriptures which tell believers to deal with others in kindness, to control our tongue and our thoughts, and to encourage - and kindly and prayerfully correct when necessary  - other brothers and sisters in the Lord.  In this critical age, may we as believers be sensitive and discerning in such situations.  May our conversations and dealings be filled with grace and kindness.   In these difficult times Christians can't be tearing each other apart, especially when the secular society in which we live is doing such a very good job of doing it to us

No comments: