Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just Not The Same

I've never had many hobbies.  But one of the things that I've really enjoyed is attending Penn State football games.  And, fortunately, Dianne enjoys it as well.  There is something special about mingling outside the stadium before the games and watching all the crazy fans and tailgaters.  You'd never have any idea that we are in a recession when you see the many huge busses, vehicles, tents, and the huge spreads of food.  Then there is that excitement and anticipation of entering the stadium, getting settled in your seat, and watching the teams warm-up. Then the excitement increases as the band enters and the drum major does his flip to the roar of the crowd. Next the crowd goes nuts as over a hundred thousand partisan fans cheer "We are, Penn State!"  It send chills up your spine.  The chills continue as well over a hundred thousand spectators sing the National Anthem, followed by the entrance of the Nittany Lions (or Nittaly Lions as Obama calls them).  Then comes the game accompanied by the antics of the crowd and the Lion throughout the game.  There is never a dull moment.  Now I will admit that watching at home on TV does eliminate the long drive there and the tiring drive back home after the game.  But you miss so much on TV that can only be experienced when you are there in person.  It's just not the same. We did experience being there again last Saturday when we had tickets to the Temple - PSU game.  It was even better because the weather was so beautiful.  We have been very fortunate over the years in finding tickets and good seats even though we could never afford to be season ticket holders.  Years ago we used to purchase them by placing a sign "We Need Two" in our car window, and generally we made a purchase before we crossed the Susquehanna.   But now, with the expansion of the stadium, we are much more selective - we don't want the high seats or seats that require much climbing to get to.  I guess we are getting old.  Unfortunately, we've also lost our good contacts so good seats are harder to get, especially this year when PSU is playing so well.  And the price of tickets, and gas, continues to increase which makes it harder for we retirees to afford the trip.  So this Saturday night we will sit at home and watch the game on ABC.  We are hoping to find tickets for the Indiana and Michigan State games, but that might not be possible.  So we'll just need to imagine hearing "We are, Penn State!"    Go Lions! 

No comments: