Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Disappointments, Appointments

About two weeks ago, an e-mail arrived that said "May Day, May Day".  When I saw that it was from the director of Pinebrook, I immediately knew that it wasn't about a May Day celebration.  He had just found out that the professional musician who was to do last Friday's hymn sing would not be able to meet his commitment.  Pinebrook was stuck and was asking for us to help them out.  I had been looking forward to just going that day and enjoying the sing, not having to plan and lead one - this was a real disappointment.  And it couldn't have come at a worse time.  I had two doctor appointments.  Dianne had minor surgery and her annual colonoscopy scheduled.  We had 19 coming for Labor Day.  We were getting ready for the start of Awana and I had a director's meeting and a staff meeting to lead.  But, since we have been key organizers and leaders in Pinebrook's monthly hymn sings, I felt we couldn't say "no".  Then on top of it all, I developed more physical problems - possibly as a result of a change in my diabetes medicine.  But, the day after we said "yes", an e-mail devotional arrived which featured Psalm 63:7, "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings."  Suddenly I had a theme - singing in the shadow of God's wings. A theme I could relate to.  Then we found a soloist who would take 30 minutes of our two-hour program and things began to fall into place.  Hymns like "Under His Wings", "All Your Anxiety", "Shelter In The Time of Storm", "Children of the Heavenly Father", "Day By Day", "Trusting Jesus", "God Leads Us Along" and "No One Understands Like Jesus", among many others, spoke to my need (and I think others as well).  The musician sang some beautiful, meaningful songs which also ministered to me.  We had excellent singing and many positive comments.  We had a beautiful day and one of the best attendances that we have had.  My voice held out and the traffic going home wasn't as bad as it usually is on Friday afternoons.  It turned out to be a very moving experience in the midst of some trials and problems which we have been facing.  Somebody has said, "Our disappointments are God's appointments".   I believe this was really the case this time.  Because God is our help, we can sing in the shadow of His wings.  Maybe today He will give you a song as He leads you through your trials and concerns.  

No comments: