Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Man's Best Friend

There is a saying that man's best friend is his dog.  I would imagine that this saying could be debated, but if you ever had a dog, you know that at times they can be very loving and understanding.  About a week ago our niece's husband was out with their dog chasing groundhogs in a cemetery across from their house in Lewistown.  His young daughter wanted to come and be with him.  She carefully crossed the dead-end street between their house and the cemetery and began to run towards her dad.  Suddenly the dog turned and ran towards her.  They were shocked when the dog actually knocked her over.  Then they watched as a swarm of ground bees attacked the dog and stung him all over his body.  His unexpected action saved the young girl from being attacked and stung.  Nobody knew the nest was there, but somehow the dog sensed the danger, protected the young girl, and took the pain for her.   It took several calls to the vet and much care for the dog to finally recover from this attack.  It is ironic that just a few days earlier, our neighbor hit a nest while cutting grass on the bank between our homes.  Fortunately, he was able to run from the swarm with only a few dozen stings.  Hidden nests in the ground can be very dangerous - the nest between our homes is still active.  We've not been able to find a way to get rid of it.  Fortunately, the story in Lewistown had a good ending.  Everyone is well.  Somehow God gave the dog a sense of the danger and the sense to save the little girl.  So God is really man's best friend.  But a dog can also be a very good friend as I'm sure our niece's family will testify.

No comments: