Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who Is The Victim?

Last winter - I don't even recall the date - I looked out our bedroom window and noticed that there were footprints coming off the street and across our backyard.  It had snowed that night so the prints were very visible in the inch or so of newly fallen snow.  Later I went out back to investigate and found that the tracks went across our small patio to the backdoor, which was locked.  I then followed the tracks around to the side of the house to our den door which was also locked.  Next they went to the side door to the garage which had been left unlocked just in case we had a major snowfall which knocked out electricity and I would need to get into the garage for the snowblower.  The door there was partially open but the entrance was actually blocked by our riding mower.  I checked inside the garage and nothing appeared to be missing.  The prints then left our house and went to our neighbors.  I thought that maybe I should report this to the police even though nothing was stolen or disturbed.  About 30 minutes later a police officer came, retraced the path, took my name and left.  I had done my civic duty!  Mistake number one!  Months later I began to get lengthy forms in the mail.  I was classified as a victim and had to complete numerous forms.  I could have qualified for all sorts of help - including emotional counseling.  I kept returning these completed forms and continued to report that I didn't feel that I was a victim.  I didn't require any help.  Mistake number two!  Now, months later, I receive a subpoena from the district attorney that requires me to appear at a trial on October 3 in the Lancaster County Courthouse.  Now it is more of my time and gas expense.  I guess I could refuse to go and not show up, but that would be mistake number three and I would be in real trouble.   So, I am now beginning to wonder, am I really the victim?   Should I have requested emotional counseling?  The system is making me really feel like a victim.  I thought I was just doing my civic duty.  I guess the lesson I am learning is to be like others and not get involved.  But that is the wrong attitude - at least I think it is - or is it?   Well, I guess I'll just go and testify of my major knowledge of the case and gain another new experience in life.  There is always more to be learned ... by victims ... and by nonvictims. 

No comments: