Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's Only A Game

This past week was a week of disappointments - three of them in particular.  The first, and least important, happened yesterday when Penn State had its perfect season and national title hopes dashed with a last second field goal.  I thought that this might be the game that would crush their hopes, and, unfortunately, I was right.  Now I am an avid Penn State fan and I imagine that many folks will have much to say to rib me in church today, but I can take it.  Remember, it's only a game.  Life goes on - that's just part of sports.  And at least the Phillies won this year.  My second disappointment was the election and the direction our country has chosen to go.  That is much more serious than the game, but I also know that God is in control and that is the important thing.  The third disappointment came when a 48 year old friend of ours died of a heart attack this week leaving a wife and two daughters.  Lamar grew up in our church and we have known him and his family since he was a young child.  We often don't understand God's ways, but again, we rest in the knowledge that God is in control of all things and that Lamar is now in His presence.  Disappointments are common in our daily walk and they have often been the inspiration for the writing of hymns.  We have led several hymn sings at Pinebrook based just on hymns that came from times of grief, despair, and disappointment.  I have started a new hymn blog and I add another hymn each Wednesday.  If you haven't visited it yet, please go to HYMNS each week and maybe you, too, will be comforted by the words of these old hymns.  So life goes on, and for you Penn State fans, just remember, it's only a game. 

No comments: