Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

We Wish You A ...

While Fall is my favorite season of the year, Christmas is my favorite holiday season.  My problem with the Christmas holiday season is that it starts too early and then ends too early.  Well, even though there are still 47 days until Christmas, the holiday season has already begun.  About three weeks ago our local hardware store put up their Christmas trees and began to sell related items.  Yesterday we learned that the seasonal music channel on our cable has begun to play Christmas music (or as they say, "holiday music").   This week the Christmas decorations have appeared at Park City and I guess it won't be long until we will hear the "holiday music" about Santa and Rudolph.  And of course, the day after Christmas the music will disappear at the malls and on most radio stations (WDAC will play some through December 31).  But what about Thanksgiving?  I know it is late this year, but it too should be a special holiday.   Unfortunately in this country we don't really have a need anymore to take time to thank God for His blessings. We can do it all ourselves.  We don't really need God.   Hmm, I wonder what a deep recession or depression might do to our self-dependence.  Oh well, the government will take care of us.  And I guess Thanksgiving doesn't bring in the money that Christmas does and that is really what Christmas is all about.   And, merchants are really desperate this year.  And talking about pilgrims and Indians - sorry, I mean native Americans - probably isn't politically correct anyway.  We've sure come a long way in this country - unfortunately the trip has been basically down hill.  Well in our home we plan to celebrate both Thanksgiving and Christmas and try to honor our God who is the basis of both holidays.  While we may begin later this month to also think about Christmas - like doing some shopping, starting some decorations and addressing cards - our thoughts will be on giving God thanks.  So ...  We wish you ... a happy Thanksgiving.  Then we'll sport our special pins that say, "It's OK to wish me a Merry Christmas".  Then and only then our song will change and we'll be willing to sing to you ...  We wish you ... a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 

No comments: