Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, November 10, 2008

A Famous Cousin

Last week we received an invitation from my cousin, Thomas Wise, to attend a showing of his art work at the Lancaster County Art Association in Strasburg.  It turns out that some of his work is being exhibited there from November 9 to 30 in the Kauffman Gallery (no relation unfortunately).  Now I am not really into art but since it was my cousin we decided that we should visit on Sunday afternoon.  Tom lives in the mountains near Halifax and most of his watercolors and oil paintings are based upon familiar objects and scenes from that area.  Tom and his late wife Cheryl had lived in Millersville for a few years before moving to Halifax.  I didn't realize that he was one of the founders of the Pennsylvania School of Art (Pennsylvania School of Art and Design) and was the first Dean of Administration at the institution.  Prior to that he taught at the York Academy of Art.   It is interesting that a number of my family members have been involved in some aspect of education.  Now he spends all of his time painting and selling as a professional artist.  He often has about eight paintings in progress at one time.  His display at Strasburg is being shared by one of his former students and the exhibit is called 30+ because she was his student 30 years ago.  Now I must tell you, I was really impressed by his work - it is beautiful. His still lifes are excellent but his scenes are really spectacular.  I would love to have some of his work in our home, but the 18 he has displayed run from $650 to $3,800 with most of them over $2,000. Incidentally, the one shown here goes for $2,800.  Unfortunately they are a little out of my price range.  But it is still great to see one of my cousins so successful in a profession like this.  I would invite you to drop by sometime this month - 149 Precision Ave. in Strasburg, 637-7061.  The exhibit is free.  And make sure that when you sign the guest book you note that you are a friend of mine (maybe the brownie points will help me).  He also has exhibits in York and Lewisburg this month.  I admire somebody who can paint like Tom - I certainly can't.  But maybe someday I'll become a famous blogger ... and sell my blogs for .... not!   

No comments: