Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Another Big Oak Has Fallen

Early on Wednesday morning I called my cousin in Wisconsin to tell her and her family that our uncle, Pastor Robert Smock, had been taken home to heaven. Her response was that "another big oak in our lives had fallen". And that was a great description, for during the past ten months I've lost four special men who have been such godly examples, not only to me, but also to their extended families. Last December it was my father-in-law, in February it was dad, in May it was my brother, and this week it was Uncle Bob. And yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my mother's death. Uncle Bob had been in the ministry for 63 years and was a tremendous example to me throughout my life. On November 11 he and my aunt would have been married 60 years. I actually remember being at their wedding in Bethlehem. As a youngster I recall going to tent meetings in Trenton where he entered the ministry. Later, when they moved to minister in Staten Island, I used to love to go there to visit them. Uncle Bob loved and knew New York City and he introduced me to the Staten Island ferry, the subway system, many museums, the Staten Island Zoo, and the beaches - he loved to swim. It was fascinating. Later he watched over me while we worked to set up and then tear down tents at Mizpah Grove. At nights we would go to Hellertown to swim and cool off. And he and Aunt Thelma introduced me to something new - pizza. As a teenager, when he was ministering in Terre Hill, he used to include me in their youth events such as progressive dinners and trips to minister at a mission in Philadelphia. He and Aunt Thelma always helped organize a special family reunion on Christmas day - in Sunbury, Royersford and finally in Ephrata. Those were special times. But maybe the most profound influence on me was their emphasis on ministering to children. They specialized in unbelievable DVBS outreaches and ministry to kids. Aunt Thelma used a vent dummy and they taught Bible verses by singing them, an idea we "stole" from them. In fact they wrote and taught 26 different Bible verse choruses, one for each letter of the alphabet. Their example helped inspire us to specialize in ministering to children, something we have done for over 40 years. For the past number of years we have made it a point to attend week three at Pinebrook, mainly because the Smocks and their family were there. It was special to be with them because they were always such an encouragement and example to us. We will really miss these special times. There is so much more to remember - the ongoing scrabble games, the bus ministry, the Ephrata parades, Wolf Hall .... but I will always remember Uncle Bob because of his love for the Lord which was expressed in a special love for people. His life verse is so meaningful, "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Now he is experiencing that gain. Thank you Uncle Bob for a special example to me of godliness. You will be missed.

No comments: