Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Proud Grandparents

Now I must start this blog with a disclaimer. For those few who read these ramblings on a regular basis, you just might recall that on September 27 I asked the question "Where did all the marching bands go?" I am not changing my opinion, but I will admit that as a proud grandparent there is another side to the issue. I do miss the stirring marching bands at high school football games, but .... Now here is the situation. Our oldest grandson has always enjoyed music. He plays a number of instruments including the piano, guitar, violin and several others. But up until this year, his senior year in high school, he has only used these talents in the youth praise teams at church. But this year he decided that he would like to be part of the high school band, and, despite his inexperience with band and band instruments, he found a position in the pit playing the kettle drums. The director and others have really been surprised at how well he has done with no previous drum experience. During the season he has participated in numerous football games and band competitions. He even carried a flag in a parade. He has loved it and wishes that he had done it earlier. He even would like to get into a college music program, although because of his lack of experience, this may only happen if the Lord opens the door. But with the Lord, all things are possible. He also plans to be part of the high school concert band this year, again playing the drums. We are excited about his sudden, if not late, interest in music. He also has a sound background in music theory and often has helped his grandmother out with questions that she has had. Now back to my main point. This year he has invested at least 1,000 hours in preparation for this year's band competition show. And last Saturday his band competed in the state finals at Hershey and won second place in the state. That is really an amazing accomplishment. Last night we were invited to a special performance at their football stadium and we proudly watched as Zach and his band performed their seven minute show for the last time. It was impressive. 1,000 hours for a seven minute program, but memories that will last a lifetime. So we are very proud grandparents. Our prayer is that the Lord will guide Zach's decisions about the future and that he will be able to use his talents for the Lord. Thumbs up to you Zach!

1 comment: