Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy 102nd Birthday!

On Tuesday one of my favorite Christian soloists, George Beverly Shea, celebrated his 102nd birthday. Wow! I have always enjoyed his special mellow voice and the message he conveys each time he sings. Now for the few who don't know "Bev", he is a Grammy Award-winning Canadian centenarian, a bass-baritone singer of gospel music and the composer of several hymns and hymn tunes. Shea has often been described as "America's Beloved Gospel Singer" and is considered "the first international singing 'star' of the gospel world," as a consequence of his solos at Billy Graham Crusades and his exposure on radio, records, and television. According to the Guinness Book of Records, Shea holds the world record for singing in person to the most people ever, with an estimated cumulative live audience of 220 million people. Shea himself has said that he became a Christian at the age of five or six, but made a rededication to Christ when he was 18. "There were times when I needed to rededicate my life to the Lord Jesus. When I was 18, my dad was pastoring a church in Ottawa, and I was feeling not too spiritual. The church was having a "special effort," as they called it, for a week. I remember that on Friday night Dad came down from the pulpit, and tenderly placed his hand on my shoulder. He whispered, "I think tonight might be the night, son, when you come back to the Lord." Whatever Dad did or said, I listened to him and respected him. And, yes, that was the night!" For many years he sang on various radio programs but the Lord had something greater for him. "One morning, there was a rap on my office door. I looked out and there was a tall young man with blond hair and we shook hands. He was 21 and I was 31. It was Billy Graham and he had traveled in from Wheaton College on a train just to say 'hello.' He said he listened to my morning hymn show called 'Hymns From The Chapel.' That's how we first got acquainted. I came into this work with Mr. Graham in 1947 after we had exchanged letters and talked on the phone. He said he wanted me to be his gospel singer. I thanked him, but told him the only gospel singers I've ever heard about would sing a verse or two and stop and talk awhile. 'Would I have to do that?' I asked him. He chuckled and said, 'I hope not.' With that, I said, 'Well, I'd like to come with you'. That was in November of 1947 and I've been with him ever since." And during those years his singing and Billy Graham's preaching have helped bring many thousands to the Lord. I only ever heard him once in person. In the 1950's we had the thrill of going to Times Square in New York City for one of Graham's huge rallies. While we were many blocks away, the service was amplified and we were able to hear Bev sing and Billy preach. What a thrill. If you've never heard him sing, here are links to three of my favorite songs. WONDER OF IT ALL (written by Shea), I'D RATHER HAVE JESUS, THE LOVE OF GOD. Happy birthday Mr. Shea and thank you for an example of a faithful servant of God.

No comments: