Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Wisconsin War

Last Sunday two people asked me what I thought about the protests in Wisconsin. I think they may have been surprised by my answers. Because I spent 39 years in public education I imagine that they expected me to defend the protesters, especially the teachers. Maybe 30 years ago I would have supported their cause, but no longer. I did a little research recently and found that when my father took his first teaching job, the average salary for a teacher was about 10% of the average salary for all wage earners. When I took my first teaching job the average salary for a teacher had jumped to about 18% of the average salary for all wage earners. Today the average salary is about 120% of the average worker's salary. In addition, teachers have excellent benefits and in most states, such as Pennsylvania, they have outstanding guaranteed pension plans. And in times like this when most folks are not getting raises, they continue to get raises annually because of their strong union. In my early years of teaching I did belong to the local education association before it was granted legal rights to negotiate and strike. But I was used as a test court case by the state labor relations committee which ruled that because I was a supervisor I could not be part of the union. I thank the Lord that my decision was determined for me, because as the union grew in strength, their national stands on moral issues and their support of national candidates and policies were often counter to my beliefs as a Christian. I pity born again Christian teachers who today are forced to pay union dues because of closed shop policies. Now, in all fairness, it was the union that brought teacher salaries and benefits up to a fair level. It never would have happened without them. But now it has swung too far and I admire the governor of Wisconsin who is attempting to take away some of their power in an attempt to save the economy of his state. He has been forced to do this because the unions have continued to ask for more in a time when others are forced to live on less and our national economy is fragile. In a year when schools are millions of dollars in debt, many nonunion administrators have agreed to frozen salaries. But, teachers have not. In Manheim Twp. the school board has asked the teachers to consider a salary freeze. They have ignored the board's request. Instead they take their contracted raises while boards are forced into making major cuts in programs. And it isn't just the teacher unions. It is the police, the firemen, and other "public servants". And they all have a sad bargaining chip - they could withhold their services - and create chaos. Look at Wisconsin - teachers called in sick so they could protest. They should be fired for those lies, but they won't. Some doctors publicly gave written excuses to many - these dishonest doctors should lose their licenses for that, but they won't. Then there are the Democratic congress members who have fled the state so that the vote can't be taken. What a sad action for an elected official! They should be fined and thrown out, but they won't. Could you believe that elected Americans would take such such actions to circumvent the democratic process? Now I do believe in the freedom to protest and the unions do have the right to do this peacefully. But when deceit and dishonesty are part of the process, then how can democracy survive? Are we to be ruled by the mobs? Unfortunately, I think this is only the beginning and other states will soon face the same pressures. Will we have elected leaders who are strong enough to stand up and support the democratic process? I guess time will tell. A democracy can't last long when greed, deceit, and immorality rule. I hate to be a pessimist but there are times that when I view what is happening I am glad that I am a senior with the best days in heaven not too far ahead. I often feel sad for my children and grandchildren, and my beloved country, but I also believe that the return of the Lord could happen any day. And that is my hope.

No comments: