Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Do You Know My Name?

It really upsets me when a former student comes up to me and asks, "Do you know my name?" or "Do you know who I am?"  Now those who do this to me have usually gained 100 pounds, are now bald, and have grown a beard and a mustache.  I probably also had them in a study hall 35 years ago.  Once in awhile I get lucky and remember them - usually because they did something unusual, like get in trouble.  Now come on, at my age I'm fortunate if I can even remember my own name.  But everyone wants to be remembered.  Everyone wants to think they are special.  And our name is very special to each of us.  And unfortunately I have always had trouble remembering names.  When I was teaching I had to really work on this.  My last few years when digital cameras were available, I used to take pictures of my students and keep them to help me memorize and remember names.  Maybe you don't have that problem and if that is the case, you are very fortunate.  It is embarrassing when you can't remember someone's name.  But fortunately our Father in Heaven knows and remembers our name.  One of the praise choruses that I enjoy shares that idea. With the challenges I have been facing recently, the words of this chorus have really been an encouragement to me.  "(1)  I have a maker, He formed my heart. Before even time began, My life was in his hand.   Chorus: He knows my name, He knows my every thought, He sees each tear that falls, And hears me when I call.   (2)  I have a Father, He calls me his own. He'll never leave me, No matter where I go.  Chorus: He knows my name, He knows my every thought, He sees each tear that falls, And hears me when I call."  So I apologize if I forget your name, but please be encouraged that God knows your name (even if you have gained 100 pounds and lost your hair) and He sees each of your tears, and He'll never leave you, no matter how tough the circumstances.

No comments: