Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, April 10, 2009

We've Come A Long Way!

Good Friday 2009 ... I have many fond memories of Good Fridays when I was a kid.  Now I hate to admit it but that was a half century ago.  Good Fridays were so different then.  All the stores closed from noon to 3 pm.  All churches had services during that time and the pews were filled.  Many businesses also had services for their employees who couldn't get to church during these hours.  My wife worked at the First National Bank in Sunbury and they always had a Christian minister come in to speak and lead a service for their employees, on company time.  I know that is hard for all you "young readers" to believe, but that is the way it was - before the days of politically correctness.  So, yes we've come a long way - unfortunately the wrong way!  Now you probably won't even hear anything about Good Friday today unless you read about it in the church advertisements.  And the kids don't even have Easter vacation anymore, it is now Spring Break.  And some folks still think we are a "Christian nation" -   Only in your dreams.  But they still can't take away our right to thank our Lord for His unspeakable gift, to remember the pain and humiliation that he bore for us, and to rejoice that he humbled himself and died for us so that we could be forgiven, redeemed, and united with Him.  Take time to worship and thank Him throughout the day.  Good Friday is a special day.  And remember, Sunday is a coming!

No comments: