Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

Just came back from the first softball game of the season ... as my body and mind thaw I'll just ramble on about a few observations ... best coffee deal is at McDonalds but only if you are a senior.  A senior decaf goes for 50 cents and it actually smells and tastes like coffee.  That has become my regular breakfast as I head to Lititz each day to work on dad's house ... A reader of my blog tells me that the Wendys in Maryland are even slower than in Pennsylvania.  That's hard to believe - not that they are slower, but that I have a reader, and one who actually responds to my blog ...  While visiting my brother in the hospital I saw two Amish women in the waiting room - talking on their cell phones.  Do you think their bishop knows about this or maybe he is using one, too?  ... This morning while walking at Park City I saw a Mennonite girl, probably in her 20's, dressed in her long dress and wearing a cap.  She was at a stand reading a brochure advertising a contest for potential models.  Was she going to apply, was she dreaming, or was she just interested in opportunities for young ladies? ... Today our doctor prescribed a new cough medicine for my wife.  Our copay for the bottle was "only" $39.80! That might be about $2.00 a swallow.  I'm glad it was a copay and not the full cost ... In the doctor's waiting room I watched the drug salespersons come in and shower the nurses with gifts.  One gave out piles of candy bars and snacks.  Maybe that is why our cough medicine copay was "only" $39.80 for a bottle.  Something just doesn't seem right! Maybe they should have at least given us a candy bar, too ...  I was encouraged to start a page on Facebook, so three weeks ago I did.  I am now convinced that it is for young folks or for folks who don't know what to do with their time.  I've entered about a dozen comments that I though were interesting topics and have yet to get a single response.  One person did wish me a happy birthday.  Maybe I need to use a picture of me when I was 30 instead of the current one I have posted.   Please excuse me Facebook participants, but I don't find most of the comments there too exciting - like "It's a nice day today", "I'm going out for supper tonight", "I can't wait for the weekend", or "I just played the - you name it - game".  Of course there are games to play and tests to take to analyze yourself, if you have nothing better to do with your time.  It looks like the real challenge might be to see how many friends you can collect - that must be a measure of how popular one is.  Oh well, I guess that is the way one socializes today.  I guess that's enough ramblings for one day - I need to go check my Facebook Wall and see if any of my few friends thinks the weather was cold today.

No comments: