Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

We've Come Along Way II

Yesterday I commented on how far we've come - backwards in my opinion - with the celebration of Good Friday.  Today I must continue the theme with another similar observation.   I don't ever remember as a kid going to an Easter Egg Hunt.  I guess they probably had them way back then, I don't know.  I don't think my parents would have objected to them since I know I had an Easter basket and there are pictures of me with the basket and candy.  I do remember that Mammy Wise (mother's mom) used to make such delicious candy eggs each year - that was a very special treat.  When our kids were growing up we took them to hunts - we were glad that they could get more free candy than we could afford to buy at that point in our married lives.  Recently churches have gotten into the Easter Egg Hunt business, and I have no objection to that, especially if a good Gospel message is part of the activity.  That has been a big outreach at our church and many kids and parents come and hear the Gospel before they race to collect eggs.   But yesterday my grandson Zachary and I passed a church in the Landisville area with a large sign in front of their church .... Easter Egg Hunt, 10:00 am ... on Sunday.  An Easter Egg Hunt on Easter morning?  Now somehow I think that is crossing the line.  Has the Easter Bunny taken place of celebrating the Resurrection of Christ?   Yes, I guess we've come a long way - backwards in my opinion.  Easter should be the greatest day on the schedule of each church and the day should be devoted only to the worship and celebration of that special event.  It is the event that should make Christianity different than any other religion - Jesus is alive!  It is the celebration of the One who conquered death so that we could have eternal life and one day reign with Him.  And the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs should not detract from that day of celebration.  Or am I just getting old?  I probably am, but I still feel that local church is wrong. I prefer to devote my time and worship tomorrow to my Great Savior.  Anyway, have a great Resurrection Day tomorrow.  He is risen! 

No comments: