Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Slow Fast Food

Almost two decades ago our family started a tradition of  going to Wendy's for our noon lunch after the Sunday morning service.  It used to be a great time together that we looked forward to.  We were such regulars that they even sent flowers to us when my mother was killed years ago. But over the years things have changed.  My brother went to another church in a different area and stopped coming.  Some of the others stopped coming for a variety of reasons.  When our church moved we went to another Wendys closer to our present church.  My sister started going to our early service so her family stopped coming to our noon gathering.  So recently it was just my wife and I and my father and once in awhile my son's family. Dad kept coming even to the Sunday before he died. But now since dad died in February it is usually just Dianne and I. I guess we keep "the tradition" going.  Our one complaint about our new Wendys location is that their service is so slow.  In fact sometimes it is faster to go through the drive-in and carry our food into the restaurant.  That's slow fast food.  Two weeks ago, while reading the editorial section in the Sunday News, the editor, a former student of mine, commented about how they go to a fast food restaurant each Sunday.  And because the service is soooo slow (his words) one of their friends goes through the drive-up and then takes their food into the restaurant.  Now I knew that they also used to eat at our former location, Wendys on the Harrisburg Pike.  So I wrote to him and shared our experience.  I was surprised in his return e-mail when he told me that his wife is now pastor of a church so they've changed Wendys locations too.  In fact, the location he was talking about is the same one that we now go to.  Now that is an interesting coincidence.  And I guess it tells you something about the service at the Wendys we now frequent on Sundays.  Now we won't identify the location because we don't want the drive-up lines to get any longer or we will be there all afternoon.  Oh yes, fast food but very slow service. But we'll probably still be there each Sunday - they give a senior discount!

No comments: